Saturday, October 8, 2011

Costa Mesa - Longevity Now Conference

I promised I would write about the conference I attended last weekend once I completed my school work. So, here it is.

I learned so many new things, had many things re-enforced, and also realized I still have so much more to learn. I love learning and always tell people that you should never stop learning until you die...death, in and of itself, is a lesson that some people learn sooner rather than later.

If you have any interest in improving your quality of mental and physical life, then you owe it to yourself to check out http://www.davidwolfe.com, http://www.ronteeguarden.com, and http://www.thebestdayever.com. There is much more, but these three sites will get you on your way. There is a lot of information on these sites that is free. You can even download some of the Podcasts.

Ron Teeguarden is an Taoist Herbal Master. You can read much more about him on his web site. One of the things Ron talked about were his 30 Tips. Each tip had explanations with them, but the list alone speaks for itself.

1. Respect yourself
2. Build & protect the 3 Treasures (Jing, Qi (Chee), & Shen)
3. Develop your Will Power
4. Develop Your Adaptability
5. Take tonic herbs consistently
6. Learn the art of moderation
7. Spend some time studying the human body-mind
8. Eat naturally (and eat plenty of vegetables)
9. Chew your food very well & leave the table a empty (do not over eat)
10. Do breathing exercises daily.

These are the first ten. I will post more at a later date.

David Wolfe talked about hormones and our poor hormone health. Most women do not know there is bad estrogen and good estrogen, but I guarantee most women I know, including myself, have bad estrogen. They also do not know that the bad estrogen along with other hormonal imbalances is what is making them tired, feeling sick, and depressed. Estrone is a bad estrogen. Our exposure to pesticides and other toxins in our environment and our water are filled with bad estrogens. What we need to have more of are estriol, estrodiol, and progesterone. There are two supplements that help our bodies get rid of the bad estrogens - I3C and DIM. For the most part, these are extracted from cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, etc. I have been taking I3C for 3 years. Taking I3C, making all my lifestyle changes, and reducing my exposure to toxins helped me to get rid of my menopausal symptoms. My energy increased and my mood improved.

Those of you who are on Premarin may be interested to know that it is made from horse urine. Do your really want to take hormones made from horse urine?

Some of the other bad estrogen removers are: berries (specifically red and blue berries), agaricus bisporus - mushrooms - common button mushrooms, calcium D glucarate, citrus essential oils, citrus peel – lemon/lime, defatted flax, iodide (found in Kelp and other seed weeds and not the kind found in toxic iodized salt), lignans rich foods and extracts, melatonins, and oats (preferably wild or whole...not the instant crap). In addition, David talked about natural hormone builders: bee and pine pollens, cacao (yes, chocolate but not the pretend chocolate you buy at the candy counter), coconut products (oil, butter, young coconut water), colostrum, DHA, fennel group of plants, royal jelly, saturated fats (not all of them but like those found in coconut oil), yam/sweet potato.

Kevin Trudeau was the keynote speaker on Saturday. He told how he went around the world talking to people who have lived to 100 or greater. He wanted to know their secret to longevity. He said it did not turn out to be what he expected, but what he did find was that pretty much all of them had these things in common: they walked every day, they took off their shoes and connected with the earth, they ate non-processed food, took life lightly, they believed a flexible mind means a flexible body, they laughed a lot, and, the really big one, they didn't take medications. This last one I found interesting because I have noticed this in my practice of nursing. I often get 100+ year old patients now in the ER who have taken a fall. When I am taking their medical history, I am finding they have none. They are on no medications and often have not seen the inside of a hospital since the birth of their children (if they gave birth in one). I always joke with them that they have lived to 100 because they stayed away from doctors and hospitals.

As for vitamins, I already knew how important vitamin D was, but I did not know that ascorbic acid and not the same as and does not work the same as vitamin C. Check your vitamins and make sure the vitamin C does not come from ascorbic acid.



Do not hold on to the thinking that you have health issues due to your genetics. Your genes as they relate to many health issues can be changed by your lifestyle (bad or good). My genes say that I should have diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease by now. I have none of them.

This did not come from the conference, but it does come from one of the past speakers. Dr. Yu spoke at the conference last Spring. He talked about fish and mercury. He listed fish from highest to lowest as far as mercury content. Please take note.

Highest - Chilean sea bass, grouper, mackerel, marin, orange roughy, shark, swordfish, tuna.

Moderate - striped bass, bluefish, eel, halibut, lobster, monkfish, snapper

Low - butterfish, catfish, crab, flounder, haddock, mullet, mussels, scallops, squid, trout, white fish

Lowest - anchovies, clams, crawfish, herring, oysters, salmon (wild-caught), sardines, shrimp, tilapia.

So, if you love fish, you may want to keep this list in mind when you are shopping.

If you are ever in the LA area and want to try some delicious raw food, stop in at 118 Degrees in Costa Mesa run by Jenny Ross (also a speaker at the conference).

My last thoughts are take the right supplements. If you cannot afford a lot of things, make sure you are taking a quality multivitamin, a good fish oil with omega-3 EPA and DHA, make sure you know your vitamin D level and treat any deficiencies, take CoQ-10, and know your thyroid status. Many people have under-active thyroids and do not even know it. DO NOT drink water from plastic bottles!!!! Many of the plastics contribute to our bad estrogens as well as other toxins. Drink plenty of filtered or spring water stored in glass bottles or get a filtration system for your house that filters out fluoride, chloride, spores, and hormones but also leaves the trace minerals.

No comments:

Post a Comment